About The Western Bear FoundationThe Western Bear Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that operates in the Rocky Mountain West. We are dedicated to the protection & development of bears, bear habitat, & bear hunting in the Western United States.
The WBF was developed primarily out of a lack of support for the bear hunter & black bears in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. Secondly, due to the overwhelming success of the grizzly bear recovery it is essential to study & better understand the black bear & their habitat, more importantly how the black bear can co-exist with a much larger predator in the grizzly bear. The recent success of the grizzly bear has also created a management issue and more importantly an opportunity for sportsman/women in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming to hunt this remarkable species.
As we move forward as a respected organization representing all that it is bears in The Rocky Mountain West, It is our vision to leave future generations of sportsman with a better opportunity to share and grow our hunting heritage.
How We Will Get There
- Bring more youth into bear hunting.
- Work with local, state, & federal governments to DE-LIST the grizzly bear and manage the growing population through hunting seasons in the states of Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming
- Reduce human bear conflicts & educate the public on causes.
- Increase black bear hunting opportunities through habitat management and better understanding of bear population.
- Develop a program that will study effects of grizzly expansion on black bear populations and species health in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming.